Each year Kiwanis contributes 7 million hours of community service, and donates $100 million for hundreds of thousands of worthy projects in the communities we serve.
The Glendora Kiwanis is one of Glendora’s oldest clubs, having only been preceded by the WCTU (Women’s Christian Temperance Union) and the Glendora Woman’s Club. It was charted February 13th, 1929 with 36 members under the leadership of Lloyd E. Hodges, and sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of South Pasadena.
The original vocational make-up of the club included bygone era professions, such as orchard supplier, citrus grower, dye business and ice dealer, along with some doctors, dentist, banker, minister, newspaper publisher, service station (or gas station) owner, horseless carriage (or auto) dealer and a school superintendent. Not surprising, the current club membership contains almost all these traditional job titles.1930
After two years of hard work, the Boy Scouts Cabin in Big Dalton was dedicated. Ranchers donated tractors and equipment, while physical labor was provided by Kiwanis members and the
Frank J. Gard Post #153 of the American Legion.
The club awarded Merit Awards to outstanding students, including Adrienne Teter (Chamley), Dorothea Spencer (Slack), Betty Netzley (Sivcovich), Carlyle Colley and John Clay. Kiwanis assisted in the support of new playground equipment at the Roosevelt school, and acted as solicitors for the Boy Scout fund drives. 1940
“No Dim-outs in Kiwanis” was the rallying cry for Glendora during the early and dark years of World War II. With mandated rationing of everything essential to the war, including gas and food – the club was faced with a challenge to its charter of service. Determined not to let even the shadow of war prevent their good deeds, Glendora Kiwanis picked activities with special emphasis to focus on.
There were “things to do” lists to purchase verified cialis pills online on cialget.com to help boys and girls focus on productivity activities, and help keep them out of mischief whilst their fathers, older brothers, uncles, etc, were away to war. The club held box lunch raffles, and it was presented by the lovely lady who made it.
Kiwanis held a friendly contest with the Glendora Woman’s Club to see who could sell the most War Bonds, which the club produced $38,080 – or 35% of the entire city bond effort. Members also assisted the Red Cross, donating blood, money or activism, and when local servicemen returned home for furloughs, they were invited as guests of honor to the weekly club meetings.
The club’s message to promote Victory garden’s helped account for the fact that 500 of the 1,000 homes in Glendora had just such a garden – which was a small, yet important, effort to win the war.
$375 worth of remodeling was conducted on the Big Dalton Boy Scouts Cabin, with labor provided by the Kiwanis membership.
Junior Congressman Richard Nixon speaks at the club meeting, October 8th, 1948. It was reported to be standing room only.
Coming Soon…We are testing the memories of our older members!
Boy Scout Troop #482 Scoutmaster Harold Lefler informs the Club that 1,000 Boy Scouts have enjoyed the mountain camping provided by the Kiwanis efforts. The Kiwanis relinquished ownership of the cabin to the City of Glendora, who has maintained the site ever since.
Coming soon! Our short-term memory isn’t so great!
Over the past almost 70 years, the Glendora Kiwanis have exemplified the city motto, “Pride of the Foothills”.
Meetings and Club Leadership
The camaraderie shared by club members during meetings and during community events is good-natured and infectious – come see for yourself! Drop a line firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll contact you with further details.